For TMJ Treatment that Works, See Our TMJ Chiropractor
TMJ (which is short for temporomandibular jaw syndrome) is usually very difficult to treat. All too often, dental procedures aimed at relieving TMJ actually make it worse. But you can find treatment that works at a TMJ chiropractor, like Dr. Luther Chau, at Convergent Therapies, serving Tacoma and Gig Harbor, WA.
What are the signs that you need TMJ treatment?
Any diagnosis of TMJ needs to be validated by your TMJ chiropractor. But signs that you need to be evaluated for TMJ include:
- Jaw and teeth that hurt all the time. You have a dull ache in our jaws that may radiate to your neck and shoulder.
- Teeth sloping inward on one or even both sides of your mouth.
- Jaw locking when you try to open your mouth.
- Lots of ear popping.
- Uncomfortable or unusual bite.
- Involuntary clenching and/or grinding of the teeth.
- Drooping jawline.
- Pain that gets worse as the day goes on.
The way TMJ most commonly starts is when some dental procedure has gone wrong. Your dentist tries to repair the side effects of the dental treatment and TMJ results.
The overwhelming majority of people who suffer TMJ have some kind of misalignment of the jaw. That's where our TMJ chiropractor can be a great deal of help.
Our TMJ Chiropractor Uses Chiropractic Method and Soft Tissue Techniques in TMJ Treatment
Every case of TMJ is a little different, but in most cases, our TMJ chiropractor will initiate your TMJ treatment by working on these three muscles:
- Your masseter, a band of muscle that is set directly on top of your jaw.
- Your temporalis, a thin muscle shaped like a mussel shell that runs up to your forehead.
- Your pterygoid, inside your jaw.
Our chiropractor will both release tension in those three muscles and show you how to release tension on your own at home. Then, our chiropractor will make sure your C1 and C2 vertebrae in your neck are in good alignment, too.
TMJ isn't something that gets resolved with one treatment, but every treatment gets you a little closer to lasting relief. Our chiropractor, Dr. Chau, can help you get your life back to normal.
Visit Us Today for Lasting Relief from TMJ Pain
Dr. Chau is here to help. Request your appointment online or call us at (253) 313-1678. Dr. Chau serves patients in Gig Harbor and Tacoma from offices at Convergent Therapies, 7195 Wagner Way NW, Ste 105, Gig Harbor, WA, 98335, US.